I hate doing certain things and tend to put them off as long as possible. The things most often put at the end of my list are:
- going to the bank (why must their hours be so inconvenient??)
- doing my laundry (even though it takes an hour total… I put it off until I literally have no more socks/underwear left, which can take a while)
- paying my bills (I write down when they are due, but always pay them a few days before they are considered late… why?)
- cleaning my apartment (I am a neat person and hate to admit this one, but I probably do not clean as often as I should…)
I am lucky, though, that I enjoy doing things that I know a lot of people hate. Such as,
- going grocery shopping (I can spend hours grocery shopping… I love it)
- running errands (I love driving from place to place, doing random tasks – I think I did this a lot as a child with my mom so I’m guessing that’s where this comes from? I would rather run an errand than sit around any day)
- getting myself to the gym (for the most part I tend to workout anywhere from 4-6 days a week, which I’m proud of)
So this is probably a random post (sorry), but I was thinking about to do lists today. I tend to be a big fan. As soon as something is written on my list, it gets done (I love the feeling of crossing things off). In college, I would write assignments down in multiple places so I could cross out completed assignments more than once (I may be embarrassing myself a little now…).
Anyway, I have felt a little stressed recently, and I have been putting things off when I know I just need to buckle down and do them. I am usually quite the productive person, but I have been in a little bit of a funk recently. In order to feel more on track and in control, I made myself a to do list when I woke up this morning. It had three things on it:
2. Clean bathroom/kitchen
3. Work out
And you know what, I did them all (I even cleaned my entire apartment, a task I never want to do)! Although the list was borderline ridiculous (I HAD to make the granola bars, and knew I was going to yoga tonight with my sister), it still felt good to cross things off the list and be productive. Its crazy what a simple task can do for the mood.
I just wanted to remind myself.. when feeling stressed, make a to-do list. It never fails.
Any tasks you hate to do and put off? Are you a fan of to-do lists?