So when I packed my meals for school last Friday, I mentioned that I made myself a goat cheese and jelly sandwich for dinner. I just wanted to share that it was so good! I am thinking it was because:
- I am a big fan of the sweet/salty combination
- It reminded me a lot of my favorite childhood breakfast (cream cheese and jelly on a plain bagel…try it if you never have. so good.).
Since I know I am a big fan of the particular combo of salty/savory + sweet (I love sea salt caramels and sea salt chocolate bars, trail mixes…), I started to brainstorm more salty/sweet sandwich combinations.
So far I have thought of…
- cheese (goat, cream cheese, cheddar, provolone, etc.)
- peanut butter/almond butter (?)
- fresh fruit
Which led me to brainstorm these sandwich ideas:
- goat cheese and jelly (cream cheese and jelly, etc.)….
- tempeh/cheese and jelly (I’ve seen this combo on Kath and Meghann‘s blogs before but never tried it myself)
- goat cheese, honey and strawberries (I may or may not be trying this out this week…)
annnd that’s all I’ve got so far. I know there has to be other options than the “protein+ jelly” combo, but so far I’ve got nothing. Beans would be an easy “salty” sandwich addition, but for some reason no “sweet” ingredient seems very fitting (beans + jelly? No thanks). Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Anyway, moving on to the food for the day (Meal packing day 3):
For lunch I packed a spinach salad topped with carrots, zucchini, brown rice and a baked tofu/sweet potato/green bean mixture that my sister’s boyfriend brought over to our apartment (he is a pretty good cook, and I get to reap the benefits by getting to eat some of the food he brings my sister). I packed some balsamic vinegar to top it off and also plan to have a granny smith apple.
1. brown rice (grain)
2. tofu (protein)
3. Spinach, carrots, zucchini, green beans, sweet potato (veggies)
For dinner I have an “Italian-themed” sandwich that includes meatless meatballs (from Trader Joes), hummus and spinach with some basil and oregano sprinkled on top. Kind of like a spin on a meatball sandwich/sub I suppose?
On the side I packed some veggies (peppers, carrots, celery) and a few clementines, which are not that great. I bought “Cuties” at the store the other week and loved them, but my most recent Costco ones just don’t compare. Why are the “Cuties” better (anyone know what I am talking about)? It must be the cheesy commercials that win me over.
1. whole grain bread (grains)
2. meatless meatballs, hummus (protein)
3. spinach, peppers, carrots, celery (veggies)
My snacks of the day include
- a trail mix that includes: cashews, apricots and Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal (this cereal used to be my favorite study snack in college, but I haven’t had it in so long)
- an Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Clif Z Bar –If you haven’t tried this flavor yet, DO IT. I just bought an entire box of them at Target yesterday and am pretty excited…
So that concludes my meals for the day! I am excited to try out my sandwich later, so this healthy/exciting meal packing plan is going well so far. Let’s just not take into account that I am excited to eat a sandwich at 8:00 in the morning…
I hope you have a great day!
Do you like the sweet/salty combo? Any sandwich suggestions?