Happy Valentine’s Day! Are you celebrating today?
While I know many people are hater’s of this particular holiday, I am on the more neutral end of the spectrum. I, more times than not, have not had a “valentine” on Valentine’s day, but I feel like the day should focus less on whether or not you are in a relationship and should be more about celebrating those that you love in general. I know when I was growing up my dad would always buy my sister’s and I mini Russel Stover chocolate boxes, and when I went to college, my mom started a tradition of sending me an edible arrangement every year. I never felt like I needed a valentine to take part in the day.
The holiday doesn’t have to be bitter, it should be about celebrating love…. and having an excuse to eat chocolate all day, anyone with me?
Speaking of chocolate, does Valentine’s day make anyone else crave it like crazy (the big chocolate hearts in every supermarket and drugstore probably don’t help)? I feel like it is mandatory to eat something chocolately and delicious today. While I like to eat big pieces of chocolate cake, chocolate bars and heart-shaped boxes of candy as much as the next girl, I believe there are healthier ways to enjoy it as well. If done the right way, it is possible to enjoy “indulgent” treats all day and not end up feeling lethargic with a sugar coma.
To celebrate, I thought I’d suggest some healthy ways to incorporate some chocolately goodness into your life today.
- Chocolate breakfast cookie – This was my breakfast of choice this morning…
I made mine with:
-1/2 c oats
-1 tbsp pb
-1 tbsp Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
-splash soy milk
-topped with: 2 chopped strawberries + strawberry jelly
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal – Mama Pea has a delicious recipe for this that I recommend (which my sister made this morning….)
- Top cereal/yogurt/waffles (really any breakfast food) with some pb and a sprinkle of chocolate chips for an easy chocolate addition…. or some Nutella/PB & Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams/Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut spread (so good, but pricy) is also a welcome addition to any breakfast….
- Chocolate-inspired trail mix (mix chocolate chips with some almonds, dried cranberries, and cereal….)
- Warm a Chocolate Brownie Clif Z bar or any type of chocolate/oat based granola bar in the microwave for 3o seconds for an instant cake-like snack
- I love Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars to settle a chocolate craving
- 1 tbsp of Nutella or Justin’s chocolate Hazelnut butter/Chocolate Almond Butter with a chopped apple
- “Apple sundae” – chop an apple into bite size chunks and place into a mug or small bowl. Top with a a few tsp chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of granola/sprinkles/raisins/small spoonful pb (the options are endless)…. my sister and I used to do this all the time. It’s rather tasty.
- Healthified “chocolate mousse” – Mix plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese with a few tsp of cocoa powder and honey or some chocolate pudding mix (a trick I learned from Julie!). Add some mini chocolate chips and chopped strawberries on top to make it extra delicious.
- “Chocolate-covered” strawberries – chop some strawberries and top with a few tablespoons of chocolate sauce – my friend Mary is a big fan of this one… so simple but so good
- 1 minute chocolate cake... this is from Chocolate Covered Katie’s site and it is so simple and pretty delicious….
Annd if all else fails and you really want something decadent, make this chocolate mousse. I made some last night to have as a Valentine’s day dessert for later and it is SO GOOD. It’s not exactly healthy, but there is always room for a little treat here and there, right? I won’t lie, I licked the mixing bowl clean… I can’t wait to have some later.
I hope you have a great day!
What are your favorite ways to incorporate chocolate into your life? Any healthy breakfast/snack ideas??