One of my favorite types of sandwiches to make is a hummus and veggie sandwich. They are easy to put together quickly, are always delicious, and always guarantee satisfying and healthy meal. My sister packed me a delicious variation of a hummus and veggie sandwich for dinner the other day, and it was so delicious, I thought I should share.
This sandwich was full of veggies and had a nice punch of flavor with the addition of some fresh lemon juice. My sister, Sami actually thought of this addition, so I can’t take the credit. Not only was this sandwich super delicious and fresh tasting, it was also super easy to pull together and filling with the addition of some pressed tofu (which is optional if you don’t like tofu… you could also add another protein source if you’d like).
I highly recommend you try this out!
Ingredients (for one sandwich):
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- cucumber (2 slices)
- radish (2-3, chopped)
- kale (leaves of a small stalk, shredded into bite-sized pieces)
- zucchini (2-3 slices)
- mushrooms (4-6 pieces)
- hummus (1-2 tbsp)
- squirt of lemon (1/4 of a lemon)
- sprinkle of pepper
- 1/8-1/4 block tofu (pressed, sliced into thin strips)… or another protein source (ex. a piece of grilled chicken, tempeh, etc.)
- Press tofu (if using) to remove liquid (approx 30 minutes) – this can be done with a tofu press or with paper towels/dish towels and heavy objects…. (see Ashley’s post for a good tutorial) and can also be done ahead of time (I pressed mine over the weekend)
- Once pressed, slice block into quarters, reserving 1/4 for the sandwich and refrigerating remaining 3/4 (for more sandwiches later in the week!). Slice the 1/4 block of tofu into thin strips
- Spread 2 slices of bread with hummus (1/2-1 tbsp on each slice)
- On one slice of bread, add sliced tofu and veggies
- Squeeze a little lemon juice on top of the sandwich half with the veggies and sprinkle a little pepper
- Add on other slice of bread, cut sandwich in half, and pack in tupperware/tinfoil for an easy, healthy, delicious lunch (or dinner…)!
This sandwich was so good! I ate it while studying for a Bio test, and it made studying so much more enjoyable. Tofu and veggie sandwiches are great for a quick and healthy meal. Plus, they are so versatile! You can always switch it up with different veggies and condiments/spreads….
- You could substitute any veggie with what you already have on hand (shredded carrot, pepper, tomato, etc. would all be delicious)
- You can substitute plain hummus with another flavor or hummus or with another type of spread (I am a fan of using Trader Joe’s lentil masala spread as a sandwich spread)
- You can omit tofu or add in another protein choice of your choosing
What is your favorite type of sandwich to pack for lunch?
I hope you have a great day!